I love a long weekend. It’s one extra day I get to have hubby home with me. This time round, we headed to Swan Valley for a Sunday lunch and outing. But before that, I decided to cook him a hot breakfast.
I don’t always get poached eggs right. If you know me, you would know I have the tendency to keep trying till I get something right. Poached eggs was one of those times!
The secret I think is to have a boiling saucepan of water with sufficient vinegar. I reckon 1/4 cup or just slightly under. That just brings the egg together. Swirl the water, break an egg, drop it and continue to swirl the water outside of the egg.
And there we have it, a nice runny poached egg to go with gorgeous fresh vegetables.
Poached eggs with sauté mushrooms and wilted spinach
4 fresh eggs
400 grams spinach
2 cups of mixed mushrooms.
1 tsp garlic
1) Sauté mushrooms with garlic first.
2) In a separate pan, quickly wilt washed baby spinach
3) meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Break an egg in a bowl. Swirl water. Drop egg in saucepan. Swirl water till eggs come together. Cook for 4 mins.
4) Dish up mushrooms and spinach. Set egg on top of dish.
5) Repeat poaching eggs.
6) Serve with cracked pepper and salt.